Sunday, October 22, 2006

More theremin happiness and Peter Pringle

I'm still working on uploading photos and editing video clips from the Lucid Dementia show this past Friday. That review will be up some time this week. Till then, here's more theremin happiness...

My brother Johnny came up to visit this weekend and we got my hubby to record us jamming, or at least trying to jam. I have a hard time hearing over the theremin a lot of time. Nothing spectacular, but hey, it's us on theremin and guitar. Might as well spread around uploaded media:


(regular url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17_YpEvbIU)

I did notice that the one of my favorite theremin players in the world Peter Pringle updated his site with a few more MP3's. There are very few virtuosos who come close to Mr. Pringle's ability and I absolutely love the fact that he does a lot of classical repertoire. The type of tone quality and expression he creates is what I think a theremin is supposed to sound like. Using the instruemnt for interesting sound samples and textures for rock and digital music is certainly cool but there's something to be said about someone who can play an absolute solid theremin lead epecially when we're talking Puccini.

Listen to:
"White Voices" (clip)
"Un Bel Di"

Visit:
Peter Pringle's Official Website
Purchase Theremin Jewel Box

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha. When I first looked at this video, I had not even read your introduction to it. I thought you were singing - what an impressive voice! ;)
I couldn't see the theramin at all. The theramim sounds uncanilly like an opera singer.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter Pringle looks like a cross between David Hasselhoff and Luke Skywalker. :)

Wednesday, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep..that's the beaty of the insrument. It can sound like a lot of different things depending on set up--banshee, whale, dolpin, bee...

Friday, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listening to the Peter Pringle stuff reminds me of Chinese classical music. Do you know if the theramin is used in a lot of (modern) Chinese classical music? Or is there a traditional Chinese instrument that sounds a lot like a theramin?

After watching the Don't Worry Be Happy thing, somehow I accidentally came upon a video "Star Trek vs the Simpsons." I wonder if they used a theremin in the Star Trek theme song back in the 60's. Were they around back then?

Saturday, October 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it's a theremin for the Star Trek theme...as for the chinese instrument sounds. The Er-Hu which is a traditional Chinese stringed instrument sounds a good bit like theremin. If you poke around the Peter Pringle site, there's a piece called Jade Princess that incorporates a lot of asian instruemnts with theremin and sounds perfect together.

Sunday, October 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home