Sunday, October 22, 2006

JBro and Cindy Adzuki Jamming...first show

I finally gave in and signed up for a YouTube account since it's stable and well, easy to use. What better way to capture moments like there, eh?

Anyhow, my brother came down to celebrate my hubby's bday and we spent a lot of time jamming on the various instruemnts around the house. Here's an example with theremin and guitar:



The party itself was a blast and I got to see tons of friends--some I hadn't seen in ages. We broke out instruments and jammed all night while eating good food. Trav got some amazing gifts. I'll post more details on that later.

As for the Lucid Dementia show, that went well, but it was a weird night. First of all I was greeted with a waiver I had to sign when the person working the desk noticied my SLR that I brought in. All this hoo haa with photography--bleh! I figured just asking the band leaders were good enough, but no, apparently you had to agree with the club not to take pictures of audience members. ???

More disappointly though, the bulk of the usual suspects were not at ELysium due to being completely exhausted from the night before with KMFDM. I was freaking tired too and feeling sick that morning (see previous post) but left work early and slept it off. However when I awoke, I just had this foreboding feeling of absolute dread I couldn't shake off. It mostly nerves, but the super intuitive side of me was telling me that the likely hood of seeing someone I knew at the show would be small. Turns out not a single person I knew managed to make it out (12 midnight show...yes, goes to show my friends and I are getting old). Fortunatey, Trav caught a little bit of it on the digital camera when he wasn't busy acting as my "roadie". Darling husband's job was to carry my harp and theremin to a from stage and make sure things were connected properly. It was cute and amusing.

The usual sound guy from the club wasn't there and according to him the output levels from the PA system were off. I had no fucking clue what was going on except that there was a tech guy, wedging a mic under legs trying to fit it under my harp at one point.



It sounded neat amped up while filling the club with it's out-of-place dulcet tones. Bernadette, the theremin, sung amazingly well. Supposedly the DJ thought it was just me at first until he realized I was flapping my arms about. As for glitches, it was a little nerve wracking when the taped intro didn't come on cuin the rest of the band in the beginning and I was sitting out there, nervously improvising for an extra 45 seconds or so getting anxious, but all went well from that point on-- at least as far as I can tell. Lucid Dementia put on a powerful performance and I really enjoyed watching them the rest of the night and taking photos.

6 seconds of harp soundcheck:



You can't see much in this clip except at the end (which was spliced from soundcheck), but you can definitely hear Bernadette's operatic wailing which got plenty of compliments after the show and even a unsolicited few hugs from strangers. That felt nice. The band was just a dream to play with and I'm definitely going to cherish that experience.



The rest of the show was fantastic. I'll most likely post details of that in my music blog later. For now, after staying up past 2:30 am for 3 nights in a row, I think I'm going to go to take a long nap again. So tired...but there's home-made bread pudding from Sammi in the fridge waiting for me when I wake up.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger cchang said...

what about seaweed? Seaweed was doing a good job on theremin....

Monday, October 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home