Monday, October 16, 2006

salmon cravings, broken noses and cold toes

My feet are freezing right now.
It's raining outside and while sloshing through puddles on my way to the office, I managed to soak my shoes. So, I'm barefoot at the moment, braving the carpet that probably hasn't been washed since the 60's and updating this blog because I can't concentrate.

***

Trav's nose is doing much better. Once the swelling went down, his bridge straightened out. It's still a little fat looking, but at least when he sneezes blood clots don't go shooting out. The bruises are traveling across his face under his eyes now and although he looks like a heroin junkie, it is a sign that he's healing. The good news is that he probably won't need surgery.

My brother-in-law's daughter broke her arm while playing soccer the other day. Ironic. I guess the universe is trying to tell Trav that he ought to lay off the ball for a while and he should since his ankle has been bothering him anyway.

***

If you know me, you know I love salmon. That's the one food I crave the most and this weekend was no exception. I had salmon, roasted veggies and couscous for breakfast yesterday complete with home made tartar sauce. I make damn good tartar sauce:

2tbs sweet relish
3tbs chopped fresh parsley
1/3-1/2 of a red onion chopped finely
1 stalk of green onion finely chopped
juice of one lemon or lime
4 tbs of mayonaisse
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt and 1/4 tsp of paprika
or
1/2 tsp of Tony Sacher's seasoning salt
(you can adjust the spices to taste)

Just mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour.
I prepare my salmon by shaking a little salt and pepper on top and then dousing it with melted butter and lime juice. Sometimes I put chopped parsely on top. I then bake it at 450 degrees until it's nice a flaky. Yum Yum.

Anyhow, T was amused that I ate this full meal at 10am on Sunday morning, but he wasn't the least bit suprised. "You're part cat," he said. I woke up and decided that's what I wanted for breakfast, so I had it.

***

I broke down and bought a gem scale from Ebay. I know I know. I should have known better. Yeah. When I saw accurate to the nearest hundreth, I didn't know that the scale *rounds up* regardless. I only paid a dollar for it, but still...

***

I saw a bit of Engrish this past weekend at the new Asian Supermaket Center in town. Outside a sweets shop there was a sign for "Free Unsecure Internet Access"
Heh.

3 Comments:

Blogger stitchwitch said...

I'm glad Travis' nose is doing better. And your brunch sounds yummy. The one thing I miss in Seattle is the salmon, cooked over alderwood. It gave it such a great taste.

S

Monday, October 16, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

Oh gosh...that sounds so delicious! We used to get the best sea legs at Pike's Street market in Seattle. I wish I had tried the salmon.
I even like Salmon raw as sashimi.

Monday, October 16, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

I baked it. Doused the fillet with butter, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Stuck it in the over at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

Sometimes I spread Dijon and mayo on it and then bread it with ground up pecans, breadcrumbs and parsley. It bakes nice and cripsy on the outside that way.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home