Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Tomatoes

A cowoker of mine just handed me a bag of home grown tomatoes from his garden. Yum yum. I had two of the smaller ones (although technically they're gigantic cherry tomatoes) for breakfast. Good thing my indigestion went awy. Amongst the group is a massive 2 pounder that I'm sure will make fantastic gazpacho. This collection is fabulous given that all of it came free!

This reminds me of the time my hubby and I went to Whole Foods and ended up spending close to $35 on a mere handful of groceries. The main culprit was this magnigicent stunner of an organic Heirloom tomato. They look like this on the inside:



As you can imagine my mouth was salivating when I imagined the lovely tomato, basil and fresh mozerella salad I was gonna make. I didn't notice the thing was $4.99 a pound. When the sales lady run up this one tomato, the thing came out to close to $8! Surely there had to be a mistake since the tomato wasn't that big, but apparently it was super juicy. Well then. Add to that the organic basil, mozerella, rustic bread from the bakery...anyhow, the meal ended up tasting devine, but good grief....definitely a reason to start a garden.

The problem is lack green thumbs of any sort. Just keeping my fig plant alive is difficult and these things can grow in deserts supposedly. I stuck some basil in a jar of water to get some roots started and the thing had mildew growing all over it within a week. Hmph. It just isn't meant to be, so getting a bunch of free tomatoes this morning really made my day.

2 Comments:

Blogger heavy metal mom said...

You'll be getting more than that if I have anything to say about it - we have herbs out the wazoo growing
and cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, 3 kinds of peppers, summer squash, carrots, and garlic!
Did I mention cucumbers? We already had to start
pickling - they're growing so well.

I can take NO credit for this. It's all Blake. I just pick 'em. I have managed to keep 7 different potted plants alive and well. I just water them, that's all I'm capable of, i think.

Friday, June 09, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

Well, I'd never turn down free food ya know. Mmmmm...sounds lke you've got fabulous ingredients for gaspacho soup!
You're also lucky to have a HUGE backyard to grow lots of things in.

Saturday, June 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home