Monday, January 08, 2007

They Might Be Giants: Indestructible Object


Are you one of those people who buys so much music that you eventually lose track of what you do and don't have?

I'll admit to it openly. I can't believe I forgot that I owned this EP because every freaking song here is great. Furthermore, the first track "Am I awake?" is a refreshing departure in sound from the typical ska-kissed "nerd rock," not that nerd rock is remotely bad. I've always loved the bizarre lyrics of They Might Be Giants-- so cryptic yet so easily applicable to anyone's interpretation.

Check out some of the lyrics to "Au Contraire:"

Au contraire, Mahatma
Hate to contradict you, but
As it happens, au contraire
Au contraire, yes au contraire

And au contraire, you square
Wash that notion from your hair
If you're still there, I must declare
Au contraire, mon très
Bon frère


Listen to:
"Am I Awake?"
"Au Contraire"

Visit:
They Might Be Giant's Official Web Site
They Might Be Giant's Myspace
Purchase Indestructible Object from Amazon

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with you on that. But how can you quote the lyrics to 'Au Contraire' on David Bowie's birthday without noting these lines:

"David Bowie came to town
Flying overhead
'Don't you dig my chops?' he cried
This is what they said

Au contraire, Dave
Quite the opposite, in fact
As it happens, au contraire
Au contraire, mon frere"

Monday, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that it was David Bowie's birthday either. Indeed, today he turns the big 6-0.

Oh yes, TMBG rocks!

Monday, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! How funny...and appropriate. I actually didn't know it was Bowie's birthday today until I caught a glipse of Entertainment Tonight.
Damn...I wanna look that good at 60!

Monday, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smiling all over, thanks. I like Caroline No (Beach Boys cover) as well.

Monday, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I wanna look that good at 60!"

No kidding! 60 never looked so good. That guy is just eternally cool-looking.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just sold some iTunes singles and an album for TMBG by turning a friend onto this blog post. He bought one of their CDs for his kids. I'm not that big a fan myself, but Au Contraire is one of their better tunes. Thanks for the listen.

Monday, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home