Friday, December 29, 2006

Note from Troy

I had second thoughts about attending as well, but I have to agree, it would seem odd to cancel a tradition where Wylie was such a staple. Reminds me...I need to get a bottle of port for Troy. There will be much toasting as everyone celebrates the memory of Sir Wylie's life.

FPXVII: Godspeed

I am at the end of my endurance at the moment, so I'll get right to the point. Many of you already know of this, but for those who do not, the core of this crowd has been savaged by the death of one whom we loved well--Wylie Reeves died on December 23rd. I have been as deeply rent by shock and loss as any of us, and my initial impulse was to cancel the party entirely, thinking it no longer appropriate after the death of my friend. I inquired with other good friends, however, and their universal response (and my own feeling, ultimately) has been that Wylie would have been furious with me if I were to do any such thing. Therefore, our grief notwithstanding, Squalor shall be open as planned on New Year's Eve. And not only will it be open, but it will be as wild as we survivors can make it. That might be as fine a celebration of his memory as any other, especially since he was among the most flamboyant of us. I'm thinking that we need to do this for ourselves as well, to set aside as much as we can of the burdens we've been bearing this week. So, the Funeral Party shall go forward, with fireworks, fire, food, drink, loud music, and as much outrageous, cathartic excess as we can create.

Godspeed, Sir Wylie. I will drink for you on New Year's Eve.

Troy

On a related note, I think it would be good to reproduce the amazing drawing Troy did for fliers for this event.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger txlibertarian said...

I was a student of Wylie's back in '99. He was always so mysterious to all of us, his students. I guess that's what made him so fascianting. His lectures were amazingly descriptive and interesting. He was the highest caliber teacher that I ever had. Mr. Reeves did not whore himself out to the students like other teachers did who wanted to be so loved by all the popular kids. I for one will always remember him as the mysterious, articulate teacher who gave a damn about his students.

Sunday, December 31, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

Thank you so much for adding the comment txlibertarian. I'm not suprised that he was an amazing teacher. The man accomplished so much more in his 39 year than most would in an entire lifetime. He will be missed by many.

Monday, January 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home