Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bittersweet Christmas

Goddamnit, Wylie. You would have turned 40 on January 3rd. If only you could see all the tears of sadness, frustration and anger pouring out of your friends right now...


(portrait by Kyle Cassidy)

Wylie Erwin Reeves(from the Gazette-Enterprise)
Wylie Erwin Reeves passed away at the age of 39.

He is survived his parents Preston and Lynda Reeves, aunt Paula Speed and husband Arlin, cousins Jeanette Speed, Anita Speed and Kevin Speed.

Wylie was a History Teacher at Navarro High School, he loved teaching and especially teaching the students from Navarro High School.

A memorial service will be held Friday, Dec. 29, 2006 at 11 a.m. at First United Methodist Church. Memorial contributions may be made to Texas Lutheran University.

Memorial tributes may be made online at www.mem.com .

Arrangements are under the direction of Goetz Funeral Home, 713 North Austin Street, Seguin, TX 78155


We're all so emotionally spent--all of us for various reasons....divorces, job crisis, sickness and now another tragic death.

I didn't know Wylie as well as my other friends did, but he was a constant in the social circle I joined more than 10 years ago. My own friends who are hurting so much is what is affecting me most at the moment. I'm just numb to the death itself. Every now and then, I feel a pang of guilt as I ponder how he passed away, contemplate the reasons and count down the number of friends who have died by their own hand. Three this year alone...

I remember his dry wit and his dark humor. I still recall him cuddling comfortably with my friend Wendy when we all went out to hear Salim Nourallah perform during Lisa's birthday bash.



They ended their relationship on good terms a while ago, but he was there for her when she was picking up the pieces and starting her life over after her divorce. He helped her find love once more. In her darkest times, he helped her realize she had so much to live for. As Wendy mentioned so poignantly in her writings:

I just wish I could have helped you see those same things in yourself.

She has been handling it really well and bravely, often the one making the phone calls delivering the sad news to loved ones and friends. I heard the news through my friend Bobby who also plays soccer with Travis. Wylie was on the team for a while. I was expecting to see him at Troy's annual New Year's bash affectionately named the "Funeral Party" (where us aging Goths say goodbye to the old year and celebreate the coming of the new one in glammed up decadant garb). I just did not expect an actual funeral this time.

It's a bittersweet Christmas season. Times like this, I realize what wonderful friends I have. I'm lucky to have a supportive husband and very loving and close family. I'm thankful to those around me who helped me out of the dark and difficult times, to help me realize there is so much to live for.

Wherever Wylie is, I hope he's released from whatever pain and suffering he was feeling. I hope he's at peace now.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

i'm sorry to hear that.

Thursday, December 28, 2006  
Blogger stitchwitch said...

Cindy,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Christmas can be such a hard time of year for so many people. My thoughts are with you.

Sandy

Saturday, December 30, 2006  
Blogger squeak said...

c-
i know i have met you, some time ago at sanctuary - drop me a line - mandimcd@gmail.com

-squeak
aka mandi

Saturday, January 06, 2007  
Blogger Zoe said...

I am totally in SHOCK. I just found this out about Wiley TODAY. I dated Wiley around '97 or '98, and we remained in contact mostly via phone and email while i moved around the country, though he came to visit me out east once...i think the last time i received an email from him was probably early December '06. I was having a rough time myself, and fell out of touch with my friends...it was rough for me until recently, when things have gotten better and i decided to try to contact friends neglected too long.

I don't know if it is possible for me to feel worse about falling out of touch with Wiley so long; he never showed anything like the despair he must have been feeling, in his emails. Now, i can't even find those. (Damn Yahoo.) I feel responsible, somehow, for not being there for him, as though i could have made the difference. I am at a loss for how i should respond to this...as i said, i'm just in utter shock.

Would you please contact me at elektra001@yahoo.com

I want to be sure the mailing address i have for his parents is accurate, if you can help with that; and, any details you can give me...the Sequin news article isn't available online, and i'll have to call and see if they have a print copy...the more you can tell me, perhaps the more closure i can get...someday.

I'm SO sorry.

Zoe

Tuesday, October 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home