Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

Good riddance to 2006 and hurray for 2007!

It's been going good so far, frankly. Heck, it started late last night when I discovered an extra pair of contacts in the bottom of my drawer (I thought I was out) and then another happy surprise this morning when Sandy called me to tell me that we had a University Holiday due to President Ford's passing. So thoughtful of her and gives me more time to recuperate.

Funeral Party XVII was an absolute blast. We celebrated the memory of Wylie and we celebrated ourselves. As usual, there was a lovely bonfire:



Decadent and sumptuous clothing is always encouraged. This of course is an excuse for me to make my lovely husband dress up. Doesn't he look dashing?



I chopped off the train to one of my "scrapped" wedding gowns I had sewn right before I supposed to get married. The finished product ended up being too small so I couldn't wear it then, but now it fits just fine. In fact, it's a tad bit too loose! I knew the gown would come in handy one of these days. Plus, it just seemed like such a waste to throw out something made out of such nice satin. So, here's me...can you sense the Edwardian thing going?


I made a necklace for the occasion as well. It's supposed to be a snowflake, but I don't think anyone got that:


Don't I look regal? Yeah, that didn't last too long. If you look below, I ended up looking pretty plastered after a few hours. Troy makes a killer punch. I'm not raging drunk, but I am a little absent minded here. Lets just say I can't remember who all I kissed that night except for my hubby and Ross's wife...



You have to excuse the fact that I don't have my boots on yet in the above "classier pics." Speaking of which, aging Goths tend to have pretty fucking cool boots. Heck, it doesn't take much encouragement to get us to dress to the nines. I did ponder the massive amounts of leather, velvet, satin and occasional vinyl in the crowd.
Lisa and Darrel look great here, but the pic cracks me up:



Doesn't it look like they're arguing? I can imagine a conversation...

L: I told you. No throwing ammunition into the fire.
D: [whines] But whyyyy! It's fun making things explode
L: Absolutely not. We only burn effigies here. Plus, it's dangerous. There's enough hair spray amongst us to pin a foundation. Now go finish your wine before you open that bottle of champagne.
D: Yes Ma'am...

I'm not kidding about the effigies by the way.

Here's Troy and his friend (gosh, was his name Darren?) starting the fire:


Poking the fire (it felt really nice by the flame, actually):


I'm telling you-- velvet, leather and boots, baby. That's what we wear:


We all sit around reminiscing about Sir Wylie:


And of course, in the name of style, some people were insistent on bringing their own fancy chalice for such a toast...I just find the juxtaposition of such a lovely object resting on a rusty folding chair quite amusing.



Also, check out Lee's kick ass cavalier get up. That's another person I smootched. Favorite quotes from him:
"I've known you for over 10 years and I just now get a kiss from you?? Can I get another one?"
"I'm a very masculine guy, damnit. I love women. I love my wife with the passion of 100 men. I very straight. VERY straight...by the way, is my lip gloss still on?"
"Oh-My-GOD is that velvet?" while feeling up Trav.

Messages to Wylie, bad memories from 2006...and yes, a box of firecrackers were all throw into the roaring fire as Troy announced that 2006 has finally been put to rest as the clock struck 12.



We all hugged and kissed our loved ones and enjoyed the fireworks display in the night sky as the glowing ashes of all our worries and concerns floated up into the atmosphere, soon to be forgotten.



Happy New Year Everyone! May 2007 be filled with joy, prosperity and good health.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sammi said...

You both look AMAZING! I'm glad to hear the Funeral Party was a hell of a send-off.

Now to see if I can remember my sign-in for this thing ^_^

Monday, January 01, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Whoo hoo Sammi! You finally managed to log in. Hope your hangover goes away soon (I love apples to apples, by the way). I definitely had a headache this morning as well and am really glad I get tomorrow off.

Monday, January 01, 2007  
Blogger jggori said...

Hi I'm a friend of Wylie's when he did re-enacting up in new england. It comes as quite a shock. We had lost contact a bit ago, but another friend just informed me that he had passed on. I wish I could have been there for the celebration and remembrance of Wylie (as probably a bunch of my other friends will wish as this slowly filters on to them).

Tuesday, January 02, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Hi jggori.
Thanks for posting. His web of friends is vast and learn more about him everyday. I didn't know he lived in New England at some point (he's such a solid Austin fixture to me). It is very shocking and difficult news, but I realize that man has done much more in his 39 year than most have done in an entire lifetime. so, he lived a full life and had many loyal and admiring friends to show for.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home