Monday, January 15, 2007

Therion: "To Mega Therion"


Operatic death metal? Bombastic progressive goth rock? Or is it symphonic metal?

It doesn't matter what they're described as. Therion Rocks! (and wails and riffs and...yeah, you get the picture)

These guys didn't make it onto my newest podcast due to space limitations, but I really wanted to put them there. They're from Sweden, have been around since 1987 and the name translates from Greek to "the beast." What I like most about them though is even though they're basically a death metal band, their music is incredibly lush and beautiful. It's suprising to the ears.
Listen to:
"To Mega Therion"

Visit:
Therion's Official Web Site
Therion's Myspace
Buy Theli from Amazon

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! For some reason this song makes me laugh! I'm sure it's not supposed to be funnny though, and it has a somewhat high-brow musical quality to it. So I probably just make myself look stupid for laughing at it.

I guess what I find humorous is the unusual juxtaposition of the classical and heavy metal asthetics. This is what I would call "musician's music." It's made by musicians for musicians.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sorta think all of their music is tongue in cheek, so it's supposed to be funny. I certainly laugh when I hear it, but I can appreciate it too.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home