Friday, January 12, 2007

ah freedom

I woke up at 10:30am this morning. It was absolutely wonderful not needing to think about work at all.
I spent the day doing housework. Now, I know what you're thinking: how could housework possibly be something you want to do while off on vacation? But the thing is, although I don't mind clutter, but there's something to be said about the satisfying feel of being in the presence of an utterly clean and organized space after putting in the effort to get it to that state. This is the same reason why I loved doing things like programing library and file clean up at work...oh, there I go again thinking about work. Must stop that!

Anyway, the thing I tackled today was getting the computer cables all organized and the computer credenza cleaned. It may seem like a relatively simple task, except that the credenza weighs a ton and there are only 3 small holes with which to thread cables and wires through in the back. I spent long hours tying hard wires to cables so that I could thread them behind the large credenza and through the back slots contorting myself in small cubby are, maneuvering around shelves and balancing pieces of hardware just so I could reconnect my computer in such a way that none of the cables showed from the front. This was not an easy task as many of the cord were not long enough for me to connect to the back of the computer with it sitting in front of the shelving. No, much of the time, it had to be somewhat far back and I had to slip my arm and shoulder back behind the box and feel where the cables were supposed to connect into. None of the convenient color coding would help me here. The computer box was sitting next to the desk. Now it sits beneath it under the keyboard tray where it's supposed to be! I condensed everything so that the computer only needed one USB splitter and also found logical places for the speakers, video cam, microphone and camera input line.

I also dusted all the shelves, organized the computer books, games, blank CDs and DVDs and paper stock. I really felt accomplished. When the darling hubby came home, I made him close his eyes and led him upstairs. He was incredibly excited when he saw how organized and clean the computer area now looked. He also said "I'm so proud of you for being able to do all of this completely on your own. See! Small hands are useful!"

I'm glowing right now. :)

I also made fettuccine alfredo with basil, sun dried tomatoes and pecans for supper. I did 2 loads of laundry and cleaned up my craft room. T and I just watched the movie Cowboy Beebop. Now, I'm sipping on a mojito and enjoying my new computer station.

Ahh. Life is good!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Sammi said...

I need to get bitten by that bug. I will, but it usually comes after a freak-out at what a sty the place is, yadda yadda, and I go on a bender straightening everything till I'm worn out.

We're not tidy, but we've gone over the fence of "endearingly messy" to "wait, where the fuck is the cat?" so it's probably time to get some shit off the floor ....

Friday, January 12, 2007  
Blogger stitchwitch said...

I am so jealous. I just want to be settled somewhere, so I can get organized.

I already miss you at work. I hope you have had a little fun while off.

Saturday, January 13, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Misplacing the cat isn't that big a deal, Sammi. Just call her name with food bowl in hand and she should come right out. :P

I miss you too Sandy. It is nice getting time off for real for once. :) How is moving going? are you still at Dana's?

Saturday, January 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home