Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Polynya: Polynya


I was excited to receive my Polynya album in the mail today. With the gamut of industrial bands I've been listening to and reviewing lately (at this point I might as well have a sticker affixed to my forehead that says "Metropolis Records Whore" ) having a nice record that snuggles comfortably in the wide family of alt/indie rock is a welcome change of pace. Luke, who does guitars and "twinkles" for the group was kind enough to provide the disk for review and I must say it was a worthwhile listen.

The first band that popped into my mind as a comparison was the Czech Republic's Miou-Miou as they share a lot of similar traits: toe tapping rhythms and sweet vocals enhanced by interesting guitar work. If Miou-Miou is too obscure of a reference then Moonbabies or Mazzy Star might serve as a good comparison as well. If you like their sound, then I think you'd really enjoy Polynya. With its friendly keyboard, guitar and bass composition, these guys produce good-mood tunes that could easily cater to a myriad of musical tastes. Perfect "hang out" music, in my opinion. The added plinky-sounding electronic elements (which I'm assuming are the "twinkles") apparent on each track provide just enough support to keep the songs interesting without overwhelming the overall sound which feels very acoustic at times, interestingly. In fact, the thing that struck me the most about this album is the engineering---it doesn't exhibit the tinny over-processed frequencies that many new albums seem to possess these days and this is a good thing!

CD packaging is clean and simple with handwritten font and interesting cover art that resembles primary pigment watercolor splotches. There aren't separate liner notes containing lyrics, but its not a huge issue since vocalists Amelia and Andrea are easy to understand.

Listen to:
"Without a Trace"
"Where am I?"

Watch (live version of "Sweatshop"):


Visit:
Polynya's Official Website
Polynya's Myspace

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome video! I also really like that iMovie effect. ^.^

Tuesday, September 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just listen to the studio recordings. Very nice!

Tuesday, September 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. It was a nice CD, actually. Good change of pace, etc. etc. I think it would go well with my BexarBexar/Salim Nourallah/the Ashes mix CD

Wednesday, September 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleasant. Reminds me vaguely of The Essex Green. And the sound is clean, as you say. The vocals need to be more prominent in the mix, tho'.

Thursday, September 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Essex Green, eh? I need to check them out.

Friday, September 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know Essex Green, but they remind me of a caffeinated version of The Sundays. They have that sort of bright 80's sound I get when I listen to the Sundays. Thanks!

Saturday, September 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home