Monday, July 16, 2007

Munchie Mondays: Koriente inspired Noodle Bowl



I've already mentioned before how addicted I am to Koriente's noodle bowls, so it was about time for me to try to figure out the recipe. Granted, I'm going to keep going there for numerous reasons (especially the bubble tea) but for a quick fix, this recipe does the trick.

A word on some of the ingredients....

Sammi and I both refer to this sauce as "Rooster Sauce." I don't know what the proper name is in Vietnamese, but you can find it in Asian super markets and some larger grocery stores pretty easily. It's basically a vinegar based chili sauce and always comes in large squeeze bottles...with a roster on it:



Mung bean noodles or "bean threads" are easily found in Asian super markets as well. You can use rice noodles or sweet potato noodles for this recipe. The idea is to use any sort of noodles in the cellophane category. They've got a chewy texture and are easy to cook.



Word of warning: DO NOT BUY CELLOPHANE NOODLES MADE IN CHINA!!!!

Only buy the ones from Taiwan or Korea because there have been numerous cases of Chinese made bean threads made out of cornstarch instead with a lead extract added to make them look transparent. Frankly, I wouldn't buy any food item from China, but it's really hard to avoid...just my two cents.

As for vegetables to put into the noodles bowl itself, the possibilities are endless. Aside from the ones listed, I'd also recommend: steamed broccoli, steamed asparagus, cooked shitake mushroom, julienned carrots, etc. You might also consider a tea egg or quail eggs in addition. Don't worry about proportions. What is listed below is just a guideline.

Koriente Styled Noodle Bowls
feeds roughly 2

3 cups total of any of the following vegetables:
shredded red cabbage
thinly sliced red bell pepper
Julienned cucumber
baby carrots
...
1 avocado thinly sliced
2 cups of any type of salad greens
2 tbs of Nori/seaweed flakes (optional)
2 tbs of toasted sesame seeds

two bundles of mung bean noodles
2 tbs of Rooster sauce

Sauce:
1/4 c of Soy Sauce
2 tbs of Rice Wine Vinegar
1/4 tsp of ginger powder



Combine sauce ingredient in a bowl and set aside. In a pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add Rooster sauce to water. This will give the noodles a spicy kick. If you have low heat tolerance, feel free to omit. Boil as long as package instructions suggest. Drain liquid and set aside.

Divide salad greens between two bowls. Mound cooked noodles in the center and then arrange sliced vegetables around the noodles. Garnish with seaweed flakes and sesame seeds and serve with sauce. If desired, squirt more Rooster sauce on top.

Pretty easy eh?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger heavy metal mom said...

That looks really good...and healthy too. I need something like that this week!!

Monday, July 16, 2007  
Blogger thevitaminkid said...

Just because I seem to have nothing to do at the moment, I searched your blog for recipes using adzuki beans. No luck. Adzuki Bean Stash Podcasts were all I found.

In the health food aisle of the store a few weeks ago I noticed that Eden is making canned adzuki beans, but they are calling them "Aduki" beans. IMO, that's just confusing and WRONG. What gives them the right!?

Time to start a petition, methinks. ;-)

Monday, July 16, 2007  
Blogger dasMobius said...

Lead in the noodles? That is just insane. Is this one of the reasons why they excecuted that head food-inspector guy in China?

Monday, July 16, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Shawn, I didn't know about the execution, but it's probably more due to the contaminated pet food. I have no idea.
The vitamin kid...that's a good idea. I need to come up with a unique recipe using adzuki beans. Frankly I'm not big into sweet dishes myself and adzuki beans are mostly used for sweet dishes. However, I have a pretty good adzuki lentil curry soup that I make...:)
Ya know I've seen "azuki" but never "Aduki!" How strange...

Monday, July 16, 2007  
Blogger dasMobius said...

You can read the news article here about the execution and China's efforts to fix their food and drug rules.

http://www.manufacturing.net/article.aspx?id=144190

It says that he was executed mainly "because of the serious consequences [people died] of approving untested medicine in return for millions of dollars in cash and gifts."

Monday, July 16, 2007  
Blogger sarah said...

that dish is making my mouth water. i was about to say you should make that for me, except i guess i can make it myself... ;)

Monday, July 16, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Well, I suppose if you came over, I'd be happy to make it for you. :) I feed Sammi every time she visits, so it's not unheard of.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  
Blogger sarah said...

after my midterm is over next monday, i'll be all good to hang out. i'll be in touch soon. :)

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home