Thursday, April 26, 2007

hubby's buzzing elbow

My husband just got back from the neurologist today. He's been having an odd tingly ouchy sensation in his elbow most likely due to frequent mouse usage. This is what he wrote to me:

Yep, they electrocuted me good. There was this little device with electrodes on it that they'd stick over a nerve and send a pulse through it. It was rather unpleasant, actually. They did it in 4 or 5 different spots, but it took a bunch of tries at most of the spots, so I'd have to lie there as relaxed as possible while little jolts of energy went shooting through my arm. They also did this thing where they listened (literally listened) to my muscles. The doctor had this little acupuncture looking needle that was actually a mini-microphone that she'd stick under my skin and just a little into whatever muscle she wanted to listen to. I don't know what she was listening for, but I didn't hear anything other than what sounded like background noise.

Ugh, God, that sounds just bloody awful. I told him I felt squirmy reading all of that. He added:

The needles weren't so bad once they were in, except the one in my neck. It made the whole right side of my neck hurt, like it had a giant crick in it. But yeah, the shocks weren't much fun. The lady described it pretty well. She said it would feel like being hit with a rubber band, and that wasn't far off, except that it was a rubber band that made my hand jerk every time it hit me.


What I do find amusing though is how my dear hubby always manages to find a positive point to something as awful as getting electrocuted:

What's funny is my arm actually feels better now than it usually does. Maybe it was just overstimulated and it's going through a readjustment period, but it was nice driving up here. I couldn't really feel any of the sensation that I normally feel.


Heh.

5 Comments:

Blogger thevitaminkid said...

Electricity affects biology. In some cases it can even kill or inhibit microorganisms. There was one study done at the Albert Einstein Medical School, I read about in Science News some 12 or 15 years ago, that a current passed through the bloodstream would inhibit HIV replication. (Not that anyone has followed up on this amazing finding, since you can't patent direct current electricity.) This is why I get depressed about medicine. There is so much that could be helpful (and is known clinically to be helpful by a minority of doctors) which is not widely investigated or reported, because there isn't any profit in it.

It doesn't surprise me that your hubby's arm felt better after being electrocuted. My Dad is having arm/back pains now that are responding fairly well to treatment with The Zapper. (Runs a 30KHz square wave through your body at about 9 volts.) Quackery, they say, but I know from repeatable experience it works.

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger dasMobius said...

Why didn't I get shocked when I complained about a wierd feeling in my arm?

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Shawn, I didn't know you were having arm troubles...
TVK, wow. I guess it makes perfect sense that electricity can kill or inhibit microorganism. Heck we can put down serial killers and such...why not bacteria.

By the way, do you have a good book you'd suggest on healthy curative foods? My mother is interested in reading up on that.

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger dasMobius said...

Yeah, it's been off an on for about a year! I guess its slowly getting better. Seemed like the worst of it was during last summer. The doctors said that I seem to have injured my left rotator cuff. It's not "painful," but it takes a long time to heal and is apparently not that unusual.

Saturday, April 28, 2007  
Blogger thevitaminkid said...

Curative foods? Hmmm. I don't have much knowledge in that area. A good book on herbal treatments, maybe a little dated, is The Green Pharmacy by James Duke. Many of the things he discusses are actually foods, not bark, leaves, roots, etc., but the focus is on medicinal herbs.

I subscribe to the notion of biochemical individuality -- so that a diet good for one person will not necessarily be good for another. One might consider eating whatever your longest-lived ancestors ate, though. :)

Saturday, April 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home