Wednesday, April 25, 2007

feeling like jello and wishlist items

I took 3 hours of class this evening because I didn't want to waste classes. Crazy me! I suspect I'm really going to feel major pain by tomorrow.

I have one tentative theremin showing booked. I'm excited but guarded. One album where I've already cut a couple of tracks as a guest artist. One other album that I am supposed to cut tracks for. *crosses fingers* My little musical goal of being something more than a flautist and baroque singer is starting to happen. I WILL get Bernadette in the spotlight more, damnit, even if it means I'm always going to be stuck with a quasi Goth wardrobe for the rest of my life (hey, I'd never give up the boots anyway).

Speaking of which, I have no idea what to wear on Friday. My sewing machine broke so it isn't like I'd be able to whip up something. I'm trying to get Sammi to go with me. It's been ages since I've had a buddy who was willing to not only dress up but give it her all on the dance floor with me. Plus, look at how cute we are:



I love this pic of Sammi:


***
As a random aside, I find myself wanting the following things. Geeze, I would fail miserably as a Bhuddist especially since these are all material items:

-Coffee Grinder
-New sewing machine
-Set of distortion pedals for Bernadette
-pre amplifier to record Bernadette with
-nicer microphone
-More bookshelves in the house
-red cusion cut spinel (or a large affordable piece of rough which I can cut one out of)
-really cute orange or white kitten
- a big ole cheese steak sandwich would be really good right about now as well :)
****

Work is going well right now. It feels really weird working on things I actually enjoy. Furthermore, there are things that are important to me and to others. Whenever I talk about my work now, I get the response of "how cool" or "what a useful tool!" or "my prof uses that." Hearing all that makes me want to over perform and deliver the best possible product possible.

It's so strange realizing that because as a theoretical math major, I never had a need for application or use (although to be honest, all math is eventually applicable in some way shape or form). In fact, I have mild disdain for those who only appreciate applicable math. Nothing against statisticians and actuaries of course because what they do is freaking hard. It's just that in college, it was often the statisticians and actuaries who tended to do really bad in classes like topology, real analysis, even vector calc. I often wondered if they turned their noises up at theoretical math simply because their brains weren't wired to do so.

The sheer beauty of the subject itself was enough to inspire me. It's odd that now, all these years later I work in a field where everything I make is an application. I just pray I never forget to see the beauty in things that don't necessarily have a use...like a red cushion cut spinel. :)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i think you are mistaken re: distortion pedals i think that you want is effects pedals. the theramin sound distorted would make peoples ears bleed! Might I suggest 3 humble effects pedals you should be happy with.

1) Dunlop Crybaby Wah
2) Boss Reverb pedal
3) Boss BF-3 Flanger

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger dasMobius said...

I'm glad that you're enjoying your work. So your job uses math?

Although my training is in pure mathematics, I am more and more coming to the opinion that the value of mathematics lies with its applicability to understanding the universe, rather than its "aesthetics." But I still prefer the more abstract kinds of mathematics. (Numbers and specifics often confuse me.) I am particulary interested in the applications of category theory (sometimes called "abstract nonsense") to spacetime theories.
I am probably not really ready for that, but it is something for the future.

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger dasMobius said...

When I ask about your job using math, I mean, what kind of math do you normally use in your job?

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Shawn, Graph theory to an extent and just plain logic. But, I was really referring more to the fact that I was working in a very applied field in general. I agree, specifics do conflict with me...I can't store that many formulas in my head.

Okay J. Thanks for the clarification. What about a whole effects box with a pedal like what Dick has? Shawn, any other suggestions?

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Honestly, multi-effects boards all sound like shit to me. If you must buy one, buy the cheapest p.o.s. you can find...since they all sound bad.

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger dasMobius said...

I like to play with the Zoom pedal:

ZOOM-505-II effects pedal.

It's desent for as cheap as it is. It's good for direct recording of guitars (thought I haven't really used it much for that), it's got "amp simulation." The distortions are not like a regular distortion pedal. You could probably plug your Theramin into it and get some really inspiring sounds.

But usually, for effects, I record without any effects at all (not even distortion on guitars) and just use the computer for effects.

If I was rich, I'd buy a MetaSonix "Butt Probe." That's like Trent Reznor's secret weapon.... well, he's got a lot of secret weapons, but my guess is that the Butt Probe was used a lot on With_Teeth and Year Zero.
http://www.robotspeakmagazine.com/articles/buttprobe.html

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger dasMobius said...

Another Butt Probe link (this is from the company's website):

http://www.metasonix.com/TX2.htm

This link has some cool mp3s demonstrating the "Butt Probe" sound. That must be the coolest distortion pedal of all time. Too bad I don't have $600 to spend! Well, it's possible to get some freaky stuff messing around on a Mac too.

Thursday, April 26, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Butt Probe...interesting name.
Yeah, tis true, messing around with the mac post recording gets some freaky sounds. It's just that for performance purposes, it would be niece to have effects.

Friday, April 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home