Sunday, April 30, 2006

Rant of the day: The uncultured and the disrespectful

Wasn't it Elanor Roosevelt who said "No one can upset you without your consent?" I've been repeating that like a mantra lately, but I'm still miffed. The older I get, my tolerance for beer-drinking, uncultured, disrespectful, lazy ass college kids who have no business attending my university (when tons of underprivaleged highschoolers would saw off their right arm to come here) has really been stretched thin.

The Blanton museum officially opened last night and while the festivites were entertaining, the crowds were even more impressive. It should have been a fun filled night but ended with me being so pissed off I couldn't sleep. My husband keeps telling me it isn't worth it, but damn, I wish I could have gone back to beat the shit out of those scrawny ass boys who disrespected me (never mind that my husband has never once defended me in situations as such....I'm always the one watching his back.)

Anyhow, it all started out with a group of boys asking me where I got my glow stick and glow necklace from, to which I enthusiastically replied that the Blanton museum had just opened. He then said to his friends "Fuck this dorky shit. Let's go get drunk." I offered "Well, there is a full cash bar there" as I walked off. He then shouted to get my attention "Hey...it's not like we give a fuck about your opinion."

My best, lame response was "Fuck you." I should have marched up into his face and reminded him that he asked for my opinion to begin with. I could have easy gotten into a brawl to let out all my other frustrations.
Are people really that lame to think that an art opening is just art? Shit, the band PONG was there as well as tons of other live acts. There was ballroom dancing in the atrium, free food, lectures, yoga and booze. That's besides the point though. Even if I wasn't into the event, I learned that you speak to strangers with respect especially if your culling info from them.

I'm just going to have to go back and visit (UT Faculty and Staff get in for free. Whee!) on my own when crowds have died down. The building really is magnificent and the art finally has space to grow. Till then, I'll quietly wish ill will to those kids who treated me like shit.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

dude, i'm sorry. that's crappy. rude people suck.

i wanted to go to the blanton opening last night but was writing a paper till the wee hours of the morning...and for much of today.

sounds like it would have been a good time. and i would have defended you!

Sunday, April 30, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

Aww that's sweet of you. At the very least we would have talked about what a jackass the guy is.

How's the paper writing process going?

Monday, May 01, 2006  
Blogger heavy metal mom said...

What a bunch of losers. I wish I could've gone to the opening...it was Eeyore's weekend!

Monday, May 01, 2006  
Blogger sarah said...

paper writing will be done thursday once the report for my group project is finished being written and edited.

that's the last thing i have to turn in.

Monday, May 01, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

Yay! Last assignment.
I wish I had rememberd Eeyore's B-day. Next time, tell me about it Monica! I also would love to volunteer for face painting.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home