Friday, April 28, 2006

The Cavaliers of Rosemont, IL

This is not a marching band, folks! There are no whiny piccolos or woodwinds, for that matter. They don't play watered down Beetles covers or fight songs anthems. They don't march up and down a field in boring lines and they don't have a drill team full of bimbos wearing brightly colored spandex outfits.

This is a drum and bugle corp. The Cavaliers of Rosemont, IL are one of the best...if not the best in the world. These guys have snagged more championships and titles than any other drum and bugle corp in the entire history of competitive marching. Of all the competitions these days, DCI (Drum Corp International) is the most prestigious and the Cavaliers have won the DCI world championships 6 times and have consistenly placed in the top 10 in the past 20 years.

So, why am I talking about them on an mp3 blog? Well, for one thing, they are musicians. You can think of them as a massive brass ensemble with cool costumes and dancers on a stage the size of a football field. Futhermore, they are my favorite drum and bugle corp ever since I first saw them in 1992. I was in highschool and my band director took us to a regional competion to inspire us (and boy did it work!). I've seen the Cavaliers in competition live about 8 times since and it's an audio visual experience that's almost too difficult to put into words. Imagine 70 brass members with close to 40 percussionist and 30 color guard members---all male. In fact, they are one of only two all male corps remaining and started out in 1948 as a boy scout troupe.

The Cavelier sound is truly amazing. I don't think these mp3s can do them justice, but here's are some snippets from show's I've attended. Listen to:

"Gavorkna Fanfare" by Jack Stamp (1992, first DCI title)
"Jupiter"by Gustav Holst (from the Planets suite)

But, seeing them is even more impressive. Here are some DVD trailers from the official website that can give you an idea of the pagentry, energy and near perfect execution these guys can deliver:

"2004 Show: 007"
"Cavalier Chronicles"
"Percussion DVD: Parking Lot Drums"

The best way to experience drum corp is to either be in one or to attend a competition live. Audition and competition information are found in the following websites:
Drum Corp International
The Cavaliers Official Website
Drum Corp Wiki

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy!

My brother, Richard (from my father's side of the family), has been in the Caveliers since Summer 2005 - and is still with them. I think his specialty is the flag-stuff.

Friday, April 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That is incredibly impressive. Have you see him perform before? I tried color guard stuff one season and it was simply too hard for me--especially rifle throwing and sabres.

Saturday, April 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, he's a "color guard." That's the word I was looking for! Unfortunately, I'm somewhat ashamed to say, I have not seen him perform. Nevertheless, I am very proud of him.

Saturday, April 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father used to get ready for the 4th of July by covering our garden patio with flags. It is always a great celebration with him almost burning down the house each year with a roaring fire. The memories still make me smile.
--german flag

Wednesday, May 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in marching band in high school and my band director marched snare in The Cavaliers for a couple years and he is honestly the best teacher ever. we couldnt possible ask for a better band director. and our band is probably the best marching band in the state so the cavies are truly amazing!!!!!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home