Friday, March 17, 2006

San Antonio Public Library



2005. The funny story behind this is that I took it the morning before the NIN concert in San Antonio and there was a steady stream of fans going in and out of this place checking their e-mail in the public computers. I don't want to stereotype, but ya know, almost everyone was wearing a black T-shirt, jeans, military pants or plaid skirt, and some type of boots...including me sadly. I'm sure from above we all looked like a colony of ants.

This building is magnificent in its modern architecture. Every angle is interesting to look at inside and out.



These escalators cross over each other and form a frame around the central piece of artwork...a massive glass sculpture consisting of hundred of meticulosly hand blown components by the artist Dale Chihuly. Shafts of light from the upper rafters pour down onto this piece and send sparkles all over the interior of the library:



You don't even realize how large this thing is until you get to the top floor. It spans 3 stories and I was I was better able to catch the light:

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale Chihuly is just amazing, isn't he? Did you ever see the PBS special where he put these kinds of chandeliers over the canals in Venice?

Monday, March 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No! I wish I got to see that show. He's an artist I know almost nothing about, but I do love the little bit I've seen.

Monday, March 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home