Wednesday, October 03, 2007

stinky cat

I've discovered that my kitten's hygiene leaves much to be desired. She's kind of a stinky cat overall and always has been since birth. Not offensively stinky, but in general cats don't smell like anything. Brown Dog, on the other hand, often smells like sour milk. Yuck. It has to do with her super coarse hair to an extent, but I think she's just not used to grooming herself yet. She's cute as hell, but I'm not too excited about her aroma. Sure, Momma kitty Etouffee cleans her up often and that remedies the issue. However, Brown Dog really needs to teach her herself how to take a bath.

Imagine if you will me blissfully working on web layout stuff for my contract job with my itty bitty lap top happily sipping mimosas when a cute fluffy animal decides to crawl into my lap and fall asleep. Wonderful isn't it? Should be, except that I started smelling the sickly sweet scent of residual kitty litter mixed with fair whiffs of...poo. What to do? The kitten was sleeping oh so soundly but I had to fix the olfactory discomfort. Otherwise, coding would be quite uncomfortable.

Anyway, just keep in mind I had about 1/2 bottle of champagne when I thought of this:

After thoroughly wiping her feet and butt off with a wet paper towel, I scoured the internet for information on non-toxic household items and natural air fresheners and came to the conclusion that cinnamon is non-toxic to cats. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have used my uber-expensive "saigon" cinnamon, but oh well, Brown Dog is kind of the princess around here. I ended up rubbing her damp paws with this stuff and then sprinkling the rest of the bottle all over her.

She smells great now. In fact, the whole house smells great and I'm sure T will kill me when he finds out what I did. She is sneezing a bit at the moment, but seems fine otherwise. All in all I do think this was a good solution because she is now sulking in a corner grooming herself in earnest while momma cat looks utterly confused.

So, if you have a stinky cat, douse them in cinnamon. It works.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger heavy metal mom said...

That is so funny!!! I never would have thought of that - but it seems like a good solution. Maybe it will teach BD how to groom

It is a little boy, yes? Mr. Kitty seems to have a problem with not grooming enough too, and he's a full-grown cat. I wonder if it's a boy thing.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

No Brown Dog is gal! We only had one boy kity, the orange one. The other two are girls.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007  
Blogger sarah said...

ha! that's awesome. you should definitely stock up on cheap cinnamon.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Yeah, I used the really expensive $5.99 Saigon Cinnamon on her. SHe's smells GOOD though!

Monday, October 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home