Monday, October 29, 2007

Paul McCartney - memory almost full


Paul McCartney, where oh where does he get his hair dye these days?

Paul McCartney's latest album Memory Almost Full (MAF) has really impressed me. Aside from his Beatles work, I've always been a big fan of the Wings album Band on the Run. Now, I didn't really expect MAF to come anywhere near Band on the Run. In fact, I didn't really know what to expect, but Sir Paul has proven that he's still "got it."

It's hard to pick a favorite track from this album. Some of the songs, like "Gratitude" and "Nod Your Head" feel like late-Beatles songs. A few others, "See Your Sunshine," "House of Wax," and "Only Mama Knows," for example, would have fit nicely on the Band on the Run album.

Although tracks like "Dance Tonight" seem frivolous with their delightfully inane lyrics, MAF is actually pretty introspective and melancholy. On the second to the last song "The End of the End," Paul talks about how he's going to die soon and seems to be quite literally planning his own funeral. Thankfully, Paul doesn't leave us hanging there looking for a box of Kleenex. He wisely put the fun little ditty "Nod Your Head" as the final song to lift our spirits back up.

Here's the video for "Dance Tonight," where Natalie Portman stars as a dancing ghost.


Oh, Happy Halloween, again.



Buy Memory Almost Full at amazon.com
Visit:
Paul McCartney's YouTube channel
Website for Memory Almost Full
Paul McCartney's myspace

Listen to:
House Of Wax
Nod Your Head

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..."House of Wax" is such a haunting song! I love it. Great post!

Monday, October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I like that one a lot.

Monday, October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the video for "Dance Tonight." I should have mentioned that Natalie Portman appears as a dancing ghost in it.

Monday, October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went ahead and edited the post - I embedded the You Tube version of "Dance Tonight."

Monday, October 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool!
I'm a big Natalie Portman fan too.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I've got the mandolin part stuck in my head...hey is the delivery guy the dude from "the Office?"

Tuesday, October 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about "the Office" other than it's a TV show.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my friend has this. I should borrow it and give it a listen. I liked the early McCartney/Wings albums, but I sort of lost interest in the 1980s. Good on him if he's writing quality stuff again. Thanks for the heads up.

Thursday, November 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya

I have a few DJ mixes we are sending out - If you wanted to have a listen, where should I send to?

Cheers
Gorowski

Saturday, November 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home