Monday, October 29, 2007

Opium War Era Empress at the Sluggo! Ball

That's what I went as to the Emo's Sluggo! Benefit Ball on Friday. Travis took this photo at my favorite restaurant Koriente:




I ended up making an opium pipe out of a bamboo flute and a small perfume bottle that I got from my very wholesome and spiritual sound friend Lisa...which is why i felt funny using it. However, it came out perfectly convincing. The idea was the look like the drugged out Empress Wan from The Last Emperor. My coworker, George, suggested a Mogwai doll (in reference to the opium addict from Gremlins) and that was pure genius in my opinion.

I love how the Asian men in the background really add to the ambiance.

As the night progressed, I accumulated another "prop." Sheldon handed me a wad of cash for the merch booth, which T and I were working that night.



So, I called it "drug money."



BTW, the green room at Emos is actually green. Some rock star of days gone by decided to write this lovely phrase on the wall:



Speaking of Sheldon (the lead for Lucid Dementia) this is what he and Byron (guitarist) look like prior to makeup:



This is after the transformation:




Neat eh?

I took a lot of photos that night of the various bands. Here are a few of my faves...

Holly from Lucid Dementia:


Another great one of Byron:


SA Creeper:


Sky from Hipnautica:


Nik (bassist for Lucid Dementia):


Another one of Sheldon:


Luci with Holly and Byron:


The only photo I have of the drummer, AzilX is with the whole band. She's the 3rd one from the right:


Let's not forget some of the costumes as well. By far the best had to be the aging roller derby gal:


I love this on of T with Sky, from Hipnautica


The amazing thing though was that T won for "Most Demented!" It did not cross out minds how tasteless it would be for him to show up as a bloody surgeon to a benefit ball which was set up to raise money for Nick West's (founder of Sluggo!) medical bills. Yikes! Still, I'm proud of the darlin hubby. He beat out a bunch of elaborate costumes:



The prize was a bonafide copy of Sluggo! Magazine:


The makeup gal went as a Poppel. Remember those? The guys she's with is one of the tabla drummers for Hipnautica.



Dirty old ladies:


Even though it's blurry, I really like this one of Sheldon walking around before the show started:



Anyway, a BUNCH of photos and some of the best concert pics I've done in a while:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cchang_adzukientropy/sets/72157602768695383/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cchang_adzukientropy/sets/72157602769051503/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cchang_adzukientropy/sets/72157602766503190/

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger dasMobius said...

Great pictures!

The "opium empress" pictures do look like they were taken in some red-light district of Shanghai or something. (A place that I have only visited in my imagination.)

Tuesday, October 30, 2007  
Blogger heavy metal mom said...

Those are awesome pictures!!! I wish I could go tonight, but the kids are acting out right now and I can't leave them. I'm so sorry - I would've loved to be there!!!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Mentok said...

It's the eyes that really make this costume. That is make-up, right? 'Cause it totally looks like you haven't had a wholesome night's sleep for a year or so.

Likewise, your facial expressions in the shots with other people are killer. You completely look like some evil Bangkok madame who's just waiting for an opportunity to cut someone's throat and steal their wallet.

Congrats on doing such a great job of bringing such a relatively simple idea to life.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007  
Blogger sarah said...

great makeup job on the drugged out look! very convincing, indeed.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Shawn,
Why would you need the red light district when you have a crazy stalker Korean chick?

Monnie,
I totally understand. Maybe next year.

Mentok,
Oh yeah, that's makeup alright although admittedly I have not gotten much sleep lately.

Sarah,
Thanks. Did you do anything for halloween.

Thursday, November 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home