Saturday, December 16, 2006

another hippo post! more job musings

Because it's Hippo.
Sorry Jbro, I know it's been a while since i've talked about dolphins, but Hippo is dolphin colored at least.

She was acting mopyish, so I made her a bettalien--as in little itty bitty bed. It seemed to cheer her up. She used it immediately but still looks a little sad. Poor thing:



An epiphany occurred to me this morning. When I first interviewed for my
systems analyst position, one of the questions asked by my boss was:

"What do you seeyourself doing when your 3 years is up?"

(in training, you promise to work 3 years at the University in the capacity of a programmer)

I said I envisioned myself going back to the UT Learning Center to help
them get their processes interfaced with the Student Records
offices--something they badly needed. They had a vendor package that
constantly needed to be customized. But because the business processes
there are so complicated and vast, only someone who has really worked
there for some time would be able to properly serve them as a
developer. It dawned on me...

My 3 years are pretty much up and I have to tool set to help them. When I spoke to the person who encouraged me to change jobs, he mentioned that my term ends in
January. So, in some sense, I was supposed to leave anyway.

I'm telling you things happen for a reason.

I'm thankful that Sandy managed to drag me to the Student Services Christmas party. It's pure luck that UTLC just happend to sit next to my department's table and even more fortunate that Jay decided to attend. It's serendipity that this morning I found my photo album of all my former student employees wrought with notes and anecdotes on each of them causing me to remember that particular interview question.

All the good people are in positions of authority now. I wonder...I'm suddenly feeling inspired again and I just wonder, maybe I can make things work there in a little while.

Maybe I can go back home.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

i'm so happy to hear that. :)

and we have to get together soon.

Sunday, December 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home