Monday, April 17, 2006

Schrodinger's Cat


These guys are my favorite local musicians of all time and it isn't simply because I share embarassing Madrigal Dinner experiences with a couple of them. Although, there's no bonding quite like wenching customers, singing songs about banging sheep and moose...er, I can explain later if you really want to know.



Pictured are: Jackson Blacklock, William Blacklock, Corey Hardman, John Pointer, and Lester Chiu

This is an all-male a capella group (not to be confused with the prog rock group of the same name) which started out as a university student club that had a habit of breaking out into impromptu performances on the steps of the campus main building during lunch hour drawing large crowds. The sound is like Bobby McFerrin on steroids and their repertoire is just as varied. Pop, hip-hop, R&B, reggae, soul, jazz etc. You name it, they's probably done it. They describe themselves as a cross between Bobby McFerrin and Stomp which isn't too far off as they don't just sing, they use all their body parts as percussive aids. One website mentions: Schrodinger's Cat enjoys walking the fine line between the highly innovative and the completely insane... Indeed. They also dance with choreography smooth enough to put any boy band to shame. Performance wise, these guys are fantastic (and cute too) exuding lots of energy and frequently getting the crowd involed in some rhythmic chanting.

Listen to these tracks (courtesy of Stinson Studios Austin, TX):

"In Your Eyes", (Peter Gabriel cover)
"Spin"
You can purchase their debut CD Big Beat A Capella.
Official Website: www.s-cat.com

***
And don't worry, there really will be a podcast up soon and when I say soon, I mean soon in the normal sense-- not "soon" as in Axl Rose's interpretation of soon. I have just have to get a decent microphone. BTW, if you can't download my MP3's from my webspace provider, please holler. I've already decided on the podcast 1's theme: A Capella!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're gnarly. Very very talented.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» » »

Saturday, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP S-Cat. I went to their show at Stubb's sometime around last halloween. Don't think they've really performed in Austin since then, besides some private boat show or something. There's something mystical about listening to that CD now though.. because no matter how many times I hear the songs, I have to appreciate them because I know there's never going to be new ones like them. Probly not from these guys.. probly not in the same city as me.

It's bitter-sweet, but knowing I'll never see a show like that again is just depressing. If I go to see Stomp! I'll be wondering where the singing is. If I go to see an acapella group, I'll be wondering where the big bass and body slapping and stomping is. They made me love the union of body and voice and now it's impossible to fully appreciate one without the other. :(

Monday, September 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they really gone? Sniffle...seriously? I know John Pointer is doing well with his solo career. I haven't heard much about Jackson. I hope he's doing well too. I wonder why they disbanded? I had though there was a new CD coming out after the spin EP.

Saturday, September 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i was wondering if you knew how i could possibly get a copy of the s-cat cd...

Friday, February 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP blues clues flip sofa sailor moon anal free mature anal Amputee sex slave nissan terminator

Saturday, March 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a sad comment, I was IN that group, and I can't find a single image for the digital version of Spin. That's how I got here - googled "Schrodinger's Cat Spin EP"

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you guys miss us so much, we just all went in different directions. At some point, I'll put another group like that together, but at this point it'd be more like a resurrection than a reunion - not only have we not performed since Nov 17th, 2005 but when my house burned down last year all of our equipment (wireless mics, transmitters, receivers, stomp boxes, etc) went with it. Unfortunately that also included the last 800 copies of Big Beat A Cappella.

But hey... now any that remain are collector's items!

S-Cat.com has been down for a while, but if we ever step out again, it'll certainly be on my schedule posted at johnpointer.com

Jackson is doing well - went back to business school and is working on releasing his own CD. Lester runs a moped and clothing shop in East Austin, William went back to school and now works for NFusion, and ad agency. Corey is a tech consultant, and I've been all over the place - got a contract offer from Cirque du Soleil, CBS relocated me to LA for a while, I've done a handful of national TV commercials, I've been playing Judas in Jesus Chris Superstar at Zach Scott Theater, and I just released my first solo CD Schizophonic.

Anyway, to everyone who saw us, thanks!

-John

Tuesday, July 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your blog whilst looking for the Big Beat A Cappella CD. I bought it years ago when we lived in Austin and someone a**hole stole it. It's been a challenge to replace, to say the least.
One of my Favorite. CDs. EVER!
Sorry to hear they've disbanded. They were beyond awesome

Saturday, October 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HeHeHe Schizophonic .. not to be confused with the ex-Spice Girl album!

Anyways, I saw SCat live at Stubbs sometime around Halloween. As it turns out I think it might have been one of their last performances. Of all the shows I've seen here in Austin though, this one just sticks out in my memory so vividly. It's an inspirational show for musicians, performers, and people who just like to dance! Really, if you make another group like Schrodinger's Cat John, I'll be at the shows (unless you hold auditions! :P)

Saturday, November 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home