Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Music blog perhaps? Podcasting ramblings...

I'm seriously considering starting a music blog. I was reorganizing my CDs the other day and realized I have a freaking huge collection of local Austin bands, many of which are amazingly good, but perhaps don't get as much exposure as needed. I realize blogs on Texas musicians exist, but how many of them would feature a bluesy chubby Asian dude (yes I'm talking about my bro) singing about dolphins? Furthermore, I feel like humorous music, experimental and classical tunes don't get as much exposure as they should. I might as well jump onto the podcasting bandwagon since I enjoy making compilation CDs for friends/family anyway and attend concerts frequently.

This is the opportune time to quote one of my coworkers, Matt. Regarding the word podcasting: "It's called downloading an mp3, people! The etymology is misleading."

Catch phrase or not, it is a fun idea. This is yet another way of transmitting information. Now, I'm somewhat against podcasting college lectures simply because I'm not an auditory learner. Maybe a web cast would be better. I'm pondering whether or not the internet is making people smarter or if it is merely dividing the social classes more. Not sure, but I digress.

Any name ideas for this new blog, I'm proposing?

Till then, check out earfarm.blogspot.com I'm sad I didn't know about this place earlier, but it is by far one of the best music blogs I've come across in a long while and it mainly focuses on non-mainstream music. Pretty much everything on there is good too.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

internet: (lack of) access to it is a result, not exactly a cause, of class division. but yes, there are class divisions regarding internet use even though access is becoming more prevalent.

i'm not sure it's making us smarter, but it's definitely making us better able to multi-task (same for technology in general). and i had a short attention span to begin with...

i could probably talk about this all day. i'll stop now.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

I was thinking diving social classes via access versus no access instead of dividing social class via content on the internet, but yeah, I'll agree it is making us into more multi-task-esque peoople. If that makes sense.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

hey, thanks for the kind words about my site. you should definitely start up a music blog and cover Texas bands and your brother's stuff and humorous, experimental and classical music...whatever interests you, just be sure to put some of yourself into the site and people will dig it.

and as far as i'm concerned...the internet is not making people smarter, but it's given more people the opportunity to make themselves smarter. me? i use it to make myself mo stupider.

Friday, April 14, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement Matt. I really do enjoy your site (and others like it) and it has certainly inspired me to join the podcasting community.

Friday, April 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home