Saturday, February 23, 2008

Democratic Debate Hoo-Haa

I voted in the primaries today...Obama of course. I'm not going to go into a political spiel because there are plenty of highly opinionated blogs out there that do that with much more eloquence. Instead I'm going to share with you yet another example of why I love working where I do.

Some of you may or may not know that Hillary and Obama had a face off on Thursday at the University of Texas at Austin, my alma mater and my current place of employment. Sure, it's a state job, but nothing beats the benefits---flexible hours, decent steady pay, free classes, and best of all, the cool and exciting things that happen on campus year round...lectures, concerts, festivals and other events. The debate was no exception.

Even though neither T nor I got picked from the lottery entries to watch the debate live, we still got to take in the debate excitement on campus. He took a few photos to document the hubbub.

First off, from the wee hours of the day before news crew had already congregated themselves outside of the Rec Center.



In addition, the number of "inconspicuous" black sedans cruising around campus and people who look like Scully and Mulder suddenly multiplied:



The Student Union held a debate screening party in the grand ballroom, but due to security reasons, only the first 1000 people were allowed in. Let me tell ya, this debate was hotter than a rock show! It warms the heart to see number that rival a boy band concert. Many people waited several hours to get a spot. The line kept going..



and going...


and going...


Needless to say, either T nor I got into this event, but that's okay because up the hill we got to mingle with a bunch of supporters who surrounded the building where Hillary and Obama were having their debate:



I loved these Warhol-esque ones of Obama:


In fact the bulk of the signage was impressive...backwards and forwards. :)







Not sure why T decided to take pictures from behind as well, but I figured I'd post them anyway.

By far the best sign though...



This is when I suddenly remembered that there are indeed other parties that run in the presidential race. Heh.

A couple of others:




Seeing all this restores my faith that young people are still fired up by politics.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger dasMobius said...

Wow! You voted in the freaking primary?! I guess you're becoming more polically conscious? Not "apathetic" anymore are we? That's probably a good thing.

I'm not even registered to vote. How bad is that?

Saturday, February 23, 2008  
Blogger thevitaminkid said...

What were the Ron Paul people doing at a Democratic debate??? They *want* to be taxed, right? :)

Sunday, February 24, 2008  
Blogger cchang said...

Tee hee. Yeah, I thought it was interesting seeing a few Ron Paul peeps out there. They seemed a little sheepish, actually, but all in all good spirits all around

Tuesday, February 26, 2008  
Blogger Mentok said...

Great pics. There's nothing like the excitement of the American democratic process when it's in full bloom.

Of course, there's also nothing worse than the American democratic process when it starts scraping the barrel, but that's life, eh, balance, ying and yang, blah blah.

Like all "foreigners", I still don't really get the whole primary process, but I've decided just to live with my ignorance.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Go libertarians! Oh yeah I'm the only one in TX.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008  
Blogger stitchwitch said...

I went to San Marcos last night to take my son-in-law (who is Nicaraguan but still a big Obama supporter) and my grandbaby to hear Obama. I like him a lot, but, dammit, I'm 58 years old and I want a woman president at least once in my lifetime!

Thursday, February 28, 2008  
Blogger cchang said...

You're only 58, Sandy! There will be many more presidents.

Thursday, February 28, 2008  
Blogger thevitaminkid said...

Stitchwitch, it is possible McCain will choose a woman as VP, and then croak in office because he's so old. Then you win! :)

Thursday, February 28, 2008  
Blogger cchang said...

Ha! That's a very good point TVK!

Friday, February 29, 2008  
Blogger stitchwitch said...

I'm afraid if McCain did pick someone, it would be Condi Rice. She might be out buying very expensive shoes when the world was falling apart. Oh, wait, she already did that during the Katrina fiasco.

Friday, February 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home