Wednesday, June 06, 2007

on coffee drinks and the Dresden Dolls

It's $4 for one of those Starbuck's mocha creme frapps here on campus. I don't really like sweet drinks (except for white russians, but that's something different) and yet whenever I see someone walking by with one, I seem to have this bizarre sense of entitlement, like: I *deserve* an expensive coffee drink, damnit!.

Never mind that all it really consists of is a shot of caramel syrup, some chocolate syrup, cream, ice cubes and espresso...oh and whipped cream. $4. That's really expensive.

I drank half of mine and then tossed it into the trash because I started feeling nauseated. This stomach virus of mine that I got over the weekend hasn't quite let up 100% so excess sugar is just not a good thing. I didn't even get a caffine high off of this. Instead, I got my sugar spike and now I feel like sleeping a good 10 hours.

***
On a totally different topic, I LOVE the "Back Stabber" video by the Dresden Dolls. It's a bit racy so I didn't stick it directly in the post, but I have to say, I've got a thing for both Amanda Palmer and Brian Viglione. For one thing they look incredibly good together, but I just love their interactions. They're so comfortably blunt around each other. There was this documentary I was watching a few weeks ago where she's noshing on salad right before a rehearsal.

She turns to Brian: "Do I have anything in my teeth?"
He responds with something to the effect of: "Yeah, you've got a forest in there..."

They're about to get it on in the video which is why it's a little titillating (not to mention Brian looks fucking hot in drag) but in actuality they've got this solid, comfortable, deep platonic relationship going on. In interviews you read about how much they trust each other fully and completely. I mean, yeah, how many friends would you let grab your tit? Aside from Sammi, I can't think of anyone else and that was a one time deal and by accident (or so she claims. :P )

Amanda and Brian are like Scully and Mulder from X-files, if you ever watched that show. And if you recall, that Rolling Stone cover just made sexually frustrated nerds and sci-fi dorks across America go insane. I recall this one time when Ira Glass (at least I think it was Ira) on NPR just blurting out all of a sudden in the middle of a show that Mulder kissed Sculley after the new year's episode. That's how jarring it was. Scully and Mulder can't kiss! They're friends, damnit and yet, some part of you is just incredibly relieved because the world seems too cruel if they don't hook up just a little bit.

Anyway, the whole Amanda and Brian fascination falls into the same category. The two are artistic partners through and through and hot damn, do they photograph well:





Furthermore, Amanda is just amazingly good at writing. It's not high brow super intellectual blatherings but she has a way of conveying day-to-day life and musings in a such a frank and simple manner incredibly accurately (and really, isn't this the qualifications of a good blogger?). I'm not just talking about her song writing either. Here's a bit from her bio to give you a taste:

for some reason i was pretty friendless throughout high school, so i spent most lunches with my latin teacher or sitting with a styrofoam tray full of canned fruit and peanut butter and fluff sandwich in one of the practice rooms in the music department pounding out chords on the piano and writing about things i didn't like. like malls, and mean boys.

The Dresden Dolls diary is a great read if you haven't visited before.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger heavy metal mom said...

I love the Dresden Dolls - that vid is pretty cool. I'll probably go watch it now since I haven't seen it in a long time!

I can't believe that you're only gonna let Sammi grab your tit. I thought we were friends.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Oh that's right. We've got an understanding too...Yes, feel free to grab my tit. (Heck, you were with me when I got my earlobes impaled by a surgical needle. How intimate can one get?)

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Sammi said...

Well, the FIRST time it was an accident, the second time was for SCIENCE - to see if it was a reproduceable result!

... and it was kinda hot >.>

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

Oh I see how it is...in the name of science eh? You don't see Mulder grabbing Scully's ass in the name of science do ya? :P
I'm glad you have small hands...*snark*

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Sammi said...

I'd *much* rather grab Mulder's ass, even if Scully IS a redhead. Mmmmmm Duchovny....

I'm sorry, what were we talking about? The jumprings ate my brain.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know I didn't enjoy them much when I saw them with NIN, but then I could barely hear them. I really do like them now though and yes they are very good together and I love a man in eyeliner *growl* hehehe

Sunday, June 10, 2007  
Blogger cchang said...

I think I'm a little more enamored with Amanda the person than the music itself (I love her blog and her writing). It is very interesting that they opened for NIN though. The music is interesting though.

Sunday, June 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home