Friday, February 16, 2007

Nine Inch Nails- "My Violent Heart"


(photography by Manuel Lino)

Year Zero is the title of Nine Inch Nail's next studio album (Halo 24) and "My Violent Heart" is now making the rounds on the internet...that is to say, it got leaked on Valentine's day. You can read the play-by-play elation and excitement, lyrics, interpretations, fan remixes, legal hassels and other inane commentary over at Echoing the Sound (best mother fucking fan board. period.) in this thread. With the massive fan base, viral marketing campaigns work incredibly well for the Reznor clan. For instance, clues were printed on concert T-shirt leading fans to discover yet another song off of Year Zero. It's like They Might Be Giant's dial-a-song, but infinitely more cryptic and exciting.

What do I think of the track?

There is definitely something to be said about a musician who can sound current and yet maintain his style. "My Violent Heart" is groovy, sexy and in some parts, brutal. I have to admit was a little wary when I first listened to the track. The jungle beats and opening vocal section sounded a shade too close to some of William Shatner's attempts at music...images of Trent in a tiger-striped smoking jacket sipping Jack Daniels began to trickle through my mind (I've been in a rotten mood lately...) and then suddenly, the music break right after the words "on hands and knees" slammed me across the head and knocked the fluffy imagery out completely.

Complex, jarring and yet beautiful in ways only Trent Reznor can achieve, "My Violent Heart" displays brilliant composition and sound engineering in classic NIN form. The instrumental sections are definitely my favorite parts... and lyrics aren't too bad either.

If this track is any indication of what the rest of Year Zero brings, I think we've got another fantastic Nine Inch Nails album coming soon. These guys are currently touring in Europe, so catch a show if you can. Year Zero is due out on April 17th and the live DVD Beside You in Time will be released on Feb. 27th.

Listen to:
"My Violent Heart"

Visit:
Nine Inch Nail's Official Website
NIN's Incredibly Good Wikipedia Article
Year Zero Mini Site
The NIN Hotline


(photography by Manuel Lino)

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the MP3 of My Violent Heart, I didn't know it had leaked...

Friday, February 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't drink the water.

Friday, February 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Year Zero is going to kick ass!

That "bilbo" dude is freaking creepy! Has the water supply really been tampered with? Is Dr. Pepper still OK?

Saturday, February 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Bilbo's site freaked me out too...hey, Shawn, when are you gonna post?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trent is amazing! I am a forever fan of his work. "My Violent Heart" is unbelieveable.

`Tarantino

Tuesday, February 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is, Tarantino. I love the viral marketing campaign, although yeah, some of those links (like the one Bilbo passed on) are freaking me out. Did you see the meathead post about it?

Saturday, February 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi – it just came out…the latest NIN “In This Twilight”

http://www.culturebully.com/archives/2875

-Chris

Sunday, February 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks for the link Chris.

Sunday, February 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're one of the 3 people who didn't know that the entire album is online now (courtesy of NIN), go listen to it.

Tainted water or not, I'd say this is a good album after a casual listen.

Thursday, April 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for article!

Friday, August 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Saturday, August 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to read articles like this. Thanks to author!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting article, I have long sought. It is in front of me. I agree with you!

Thursday, September 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

Sunday, September 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Interesting article, thanks to author!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home