Friday, August 04, 2006

Peaches...yummy...or not?

Peaches have sucked this year. No, I'm not talking about the sex-crazed singer. Although, she's okay (albeit bearded but that there's anything wrong with that). I'm sure she didn't have a dry season. Heh.

But seriously, I'm a peach freak. Hece, you can imagine my delight when I received not one but two jars of homemade peach jam from my buddy Sammi. The big deal though was that they were made from peached from last summer. Last summer we had a devine peach season. These were soft juicy fruits with pink flesh and a flowery fragrant aroma. THe meat would just fall off the pit as you bit into there. Up and down major highways you'd find vendors from Fredricksbug selling just off the tree items. Even the grocery stores had bounties of these wonderful Texas peaches.

Well, this summer, there have hardly been andy peaches worth mentioning. Yeah, in May there were a few and then it ended. THe issue: lack of rain. Sorta related is my beautiful fig tree. It officially died this week due to the lack of rain. We even watered it as regularly as we could, but the heatwave was too much.

The peaches I've seen at the super market have either been mealy or these pathetic shriveled up embassed nodules not worth selling. Ugh. I make a DAMN GOOD peach pie and I've only been able to make 1 all summer. You my secret? Mid way through baking, I pour heavy whipping cream into the pie through the ventilation slits so it gives it a nice creamy texture on the inside. Yummy Yumy.

I'm eating an apple right now. IT DOES NOT COMPARE!!!!
Whaaa!

And, that's my rant for the day.

1 Comments:

Blogger stitchwitch said...

I am eating a peach right now, and I completely agree with you. This one is about as hard as they come. Of course, it comes from California, so what did I expect. GWB and his ilk may want to have mangoes from India, but I want good peaches from Fredricksberg. I hope global warming doesn't mean the end to them.

Monday, August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home