Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sister Soliel: Dirty Little Secret


Normally I only post music that I like on here, but this time around I am posting an album that was somewhat of a let down in my opinion. I went back to listen to it in its entirety again last night and I'll admit it isn't as bad as I remember, but comapred to her first album it's easy to remember why the blow was so big.... A couple of days ago I mentioned how much I loved the group Sister Soleil led by the lovely Stella Katsoudas. Well, after they broke up, Stella went off on a solo career, but instead of keeping to her industrial techno roots she decided to dabble in pop.

Some people actually prefer this sound more. Tis true, she has a VERY sweet voice not too dissimilar to Katie B of the Jakalope project or Kristi Thirsk from Delerium. Heck, she even looks a little like both. The main diffenence is that the music on Dirty Little Secret is much more poppish than industrial or ethereal.

By the way, the only song I did like off of the album was "Kiss Kiss" and that happens to be a Tarkan cover.

With that said, I still regard Stella as a talented artist and with the few songs off of her latest EP, To Swell So High it looks like she's nudging back towards her roots. I dunno. Maybe I'm just hopeful, but as her website says, Stella is slowly waking up

Listen to (courtesy of official website):
"Kiss Kiss"
"Pretty Young Thing"
"Angelica Grey Eyes" (from To Swell So High)

Compare that to:
"Red" (demo version)

Visit:
Stella Soliel Official Website
Yahoo Music Profile
Buy Dirty Little Secret at Amazon

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slowly waking up? How long does it have to take? Seesh! What a lazy bum!

Friday, July 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Red "demo" has more of a remix feel to it. Are you sure its a demo?

Friday, July 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Angelica Grey Eyes" song still sounds like bubblegum, but it's not as bad as the "Dirty Little Secret" stuff (well, let's hope so!) I don't know if there is hope for her recovery or not, but as George W. Bush says, pessimism gets you nowhere. I have my fingers optimistically crossed for the release after the next one.

Friday, July 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it's a demo off of her website. If you'll notice, she's the only gal on there. The real version has a lot more instrumentation which includes her first band.

Monday, July 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Friday, August 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Wednesday, August 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Wednesday, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

Wednesday, January 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home