Sunday, June 25, 2006

Visit with Kate and Adaline

Whaaa. I already miss my niece. She's so cute. She's so pretty and so FUCKING SMART!!!!
Ya know how some people just can't abstract--especially with artwork? I dunno, for instance a macrame' belt that looks like a woman's vulva or something. LOL. Some people get it some don't...Anyhow, we were Trudy's and my niece Adeline, points to a metal sculpture on the wall and says in her adorable breathy voice: "Lady Bug."

She was exactly right. It was a lady bug, albeit a smooshed industrial looking one made out of old car parts, but yeah, it was a lady bug. She could point out the other animals too. A space age armadillo made out of tin cans. An emaciated lion made our of an air filter. However, what most impressed me was her ability to read letters. She had her Trudy's cup at the resturant and was reading the text. When she stopped at D, she went "D...dada."

Yeah. Yeah. What's the big deal, you ask?

Well, the big deal is that she's only 18 months old. I don't think it is typical for an 18 month old to be able to do that. Is it? The fact that she recognized Travis and I from photographs is just amazing to me. The last time we saw her, she was a newborn. She was a pink lump bundled in blankets and affixed to her momma's boob. Anyhow, she's a doll and just chock full of recessive genes. Both her mother and father have dark hair. Adaline, on the other hand, came out with red hair and blue eyes:



This whole week, I marveled at her cuteness. She's like an interactive toy, but better. I made a red dress for her that she willingly wore. Doesn't she look like a big tomato?


We had lunch at East Side Cafe and took pics around the magnificent garden. Those big green things in the background are basil. Wow! I want my basil to look like that. HUGE basil. Every time the wind blew you'd get that pungent sweet spicy smell and one would salivate. Mmmm pesto. Oh, where were we?

So in this pic, we've got my sister-in-law, my hubby (her brother) and little Adaline, the genius niece who also doesn't cry all that often.



Gross notions of incest aside, don't they look like a couple? We went to San Antonio on Father's DAy and people would tell Travis "Awww. Happy Father's Day!" while googling and cooing to Adaline. It was funny, but I definitely felt like people thought I was the live in nanny smuggled overseas from Malaysia.

Speaking of San Antonio, we had the WORST Mexican food there. It was a restaurant on the riverwalk called Los Posados and I can't begin to tell you how bland and gross it was. The chips were stale. The salsa tasted like something from taco bell. The rice was obviously from a box. Bleh. Kate was not impressed. I was annoyed. Travis has no tastebuds so he thought his meal was fine.

Here I am, acting the role of the illegal immigrant nanny trying to feed Adaline some eggs. The girl is like my baby cousin Eric who doesn't mind eating but has issues with swallowing. Maybe she's part chipmunk:



We went to the Austin Children's Museum which I probably enjoyed as much as the kids. They had all sort of activites strewn around the premises. This picture is funny and unfunny at the same time. I don't know how Trav caught this, but Adeline accidentally flung a block backwards and it whacked Kate square in the head:



Here she is peering down one of the slides. I love this pic. She looks like she's in
a big watermelon:



Ya know, I couldn't help but notice that there are a lot of butt-ugly babies at the Austin Children's Museum. What the hell is up with that? I saw bunches of severly fat, obese rolly-polly kids who have gone past the "chubby" phase. I can easily say my niece was the best looking kid there.

To punctuate the fact that I'll probably end up being the mom from hell, I made it a point to be the aunt from hell by showing off Adaline's congnitive abilities every chance I could get especially if there happened to be a dumb snotty fugly kid trying to take away her toys from her. Don't parent's teach kids how to share anymore? I'd nonchalantly traipse on over to the other kid's parent, sit down next to him/her and whip out whatever reading material happened to be near by.

Me (pointing to a sigh): Adaline. Spell this word.
Adaline: C-H-I-C-K-E-N
Me: What does a chicken say?
Adaline: Bock-Bock
Me: Whose name starts with C?
Adaline: Cindy!

During the entire exchange I'd make it a note to make small talk with the other parent as I established the superiority of my niece by blatantly announcing how little she is. Ha. It was great.

On a related note, if she's eating chicken at the dinner table, she also goes "Bock -bock" That's cute and disturbing all at the same time. I love my niece. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger cchang said...

Hey you're right. Move over chonky, Adeline's taking over the Welches grape juice commercials. She's cute and cuddly. I hope she stays that way. Why does your dolphin have suh a big nose?

Monday, June 26, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

What about a nephew? I think I'd rather have a boy. I'm willing to bet that Eric will have kids before me though. I'm not really enthused to breed.

Monday, June 26, 2006  
Blogger sarah said...

that's awesome, and i don't even really like kids all that much. ;)

she sounds adorable though. the smart ones are always cool--and it's like, wow! i could have one of those! and then i realize, nah, i'd rather play with someone else's kids.

i've so glad you had a good week with kate and adeline.

Thursday, June 29, 2006  
Blogger cchang said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Changing her diaper, nursing her, and stuff like that are things I don't have to deal with hence I just get to play with her. The responsibility issue is what freaks me out.

Thursday, June 29, 2006  
Blogger heavy metal mom said...

She's AMAZING!!!! I can see why you are so taken with her, and yes, she is obviously smarter than average. I loved the comment about you looking like a nanny from Malaysia - you crack me up.

I saw Travis going into the museum that day, but couldn't catch him - I was picking up Kayleigh, who was finishing her internship as a junior camp volunteer there. Too bad you didn't get to run into her!!

Monday, July 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home