Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Brobdingniagian Bards June 30th at Elysium


You probably already know who these goofy celtic music guys are, so no need for a lengthy introduction. The short story is that back in 1993 two college students (a computer geek and an aspiring rock star) met in their dorm. They formed a band... and then the Texas Renaissance Festival got involved. Tada. Rest is history.

Chances are you've probably encountered these guys before especially if you've set foot in any Renaissance, Medieval or Celtic fest, and if not, they play Sci-Fi conventions and Art shows as well. They tour a good bit. Yes, they're dorks which is why I love them. These guys are all over the freaking Celtic podcast ether as they should be because they're witty, amusing, talented, sing with great voices and give a nice humorous slant to the typical celtic theme. I'm proud to say they're from my hometown of Austin, TX and went to my university as well.



I had a chance to hear these guys live for the first time at Austin's premier gothic club Elysium this past Friday along with two other fantastic groups that I'll post about later. I found myself spraying my gin and tonic when "If I had a Million Ducats" came on due to having just listened to Contrast Podcast #13 in the car on the way down.



Be sure to visit their website featuring oodles of downloads, good humor and related links. As mentioned on their site:
Their unique brand of folk music on the autoharp, recorder, and mandolin has made them one of the most-popular Celtic music groups online where they give away thousands of free Celtic MP3 downloads daily.

Even more reason to love them.

Listen to (courtesy of soundclick.com):

"Jedi Drinking Song"
"If I had a Million Ducats" This one goes out to you, Sean from Said the Gramophone

Visit:
The Brobdinhnagian Bards Official Website
Official Myspace


(somewhat blurry shot taken by yours truly during their set)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming out! Glad ye liked "Ducats". Did they have something special in the Contrast Podcast?

Slainte!
- Marc

Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Marc. They had "If I had a Million Dollars" by Bare Naked ladies on the Contrast Podcast, but I fathom you guys are probably going to be on a future CP very soon.

Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell is this ubergeek crap? Na just kidding! :) Any band that sings about Star Wars is A-OK in my book. So they've got my stamp of approval (which doesn't change the fact that they're still ubergeeks).

May the Force be with you... and Hazah!

Tuesday, July 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home