Sunday, September 10, 2006

costume party!

My friend Angie celebrated her birthday this weekend and asked us to dress up either as our favorite artists or a favorite piece of art. And of course, knowing my buddies, everyone enthusiastically participated. I almost went as Frida Khalo, but I'm glad I didn't because that's what the birthday gal went as. :)

Here's Angie and her husband Phil as Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera:


Wendy went as an Edward Gorey (once a goth, always a goth...) and she's holding Juliet, who was a baby Warhol. Notice the soup can affixed to her turtleneck:


Cassandra as Hope by George Fredrick Watts:


I think Robert was my fave as Vincent Van Gogh. He rendered himself to resemble a self portrait:



Summer and Roger went as Greek statues. As Roger put it so eloquently, "it would be more authentic with a boob hanging out:


I love this picture of Lisa as Shag with her sister, the birthday gal:


Ross as a Salvador Dali:


My husband went as Laocoon because he thought it would be funny given his un-godlike physique. I think he looks like an emaciated Tarzan, but that's okay, I love him even more for it. I also get a great kick out of the "sons" consisting of two stuffed kitties hanging from his belt loop and the fact that he's got a print out of the picture affixed to his chest in case you couldn't tell what he was:


Here he is at home slaying the giant snake... did you know that Toys R Us has a policy of not selling snakes? Weird eh. Fortunately, the locally owned Toy Joy came to the rescue. We were hoping for a cute fuzzy snake to match the "sons" but the one they had was pretty cool too as it was really realistic looking...


Instead of Kahlo, I decided to go with impressionist Edgar Degas. I'm pretty much dressed up as one his garden variety dancers. I dismantled my wedding gown to make this costume and I also wore my pointe shoes all night. Ouch.


Here's a picture of the back we took before heading out. The roses in my hair kept falling out all night...


I think the sash is what makes the costume really.

Here are a couple of pictures of people wearing actual works of art/commisioned pieces. Unfortunately, don't remember ther names of the artists...
I had guessed Jackson Pollock, but I was wrong. Lee had this shirt commissioned for him by a local artist. Juliet seems to be having a blast standing on his chest:


I can't remember what Mary went as, but the shirt is freaking cool (** Edit** Mary went as Jean-Michel Basquiat. Thanks Wendy!):


Alice also wore a commissioned piece:


I know Matt went as post-ear-trauma Van Gogh, but I can't remember the piece Terri wore on her shirt. It sorta looks like a Paul Klee from here (**edit** apprently she went as Miro. Cool, it does look like like Klee...):


Another cool pic of Robert as Vincent:


Another of Wendy Gorey:


Towards the end of the party, even the snake was getting into the groove. Here he is wearing Phil Diego Rivera facial hair:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cchang said...

Um, Jbro--she's married!
Thanks Wendy...I'll update the info. :)

Monday, September 11, 2006  
Blogger kokopelliwoman said...

Oh, what fun!! Fabbo fotos! Haven't been to a costume party in yonks, and the art works were great, esp. since I'd just returned from Amsterdam and seen the Van Goghs :) Now I'm musing..."Who would I have gone as??"

Monday, September 11, 2006  
Blogger Mentok said...

Wow, greatest costume party ever. An inspiration.

(came over here from FiL's)

Monday, September 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home