Sunday, September 10, 2006

Erik Scott Johnston


Where in the world is Erik Scott Johnston (not to be confused with guitar god, Eric Johnson)?

His website is down, I can't find his CDs on CD Baby any longer and google hasn't turned up any fruitful information. In this day in age, it's almost impossible to hide...

Johnston, a Texas native from Plano who graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with an economics degree in the Fall of 2000 was one of those people you really wanted to hate, but couldn't due to his lovely personality. And no, I'm not dripping with sarcasm. He really was a cool guy....

We were in orchestra together and also shared a Real Analysis and Algrebraic Structures course. If I recall correctly, he was double majoring in mathematics at the time. Erik was someone I considered a polymath (another fellow classmate Felica Day, who was also math/music major and is now an actress, deserves that title as well... ) Although it's typical for math types to excel at music, Erik was beyond just skilled--he was fucking gifted in my opinion.

Remeber that party scene in Amadeus where Mozart would entertain people by taking a tune and reproducing it in the style of any composer named? Erik could do that. One of my favorites was his jazz variations on Flight of the Bumble Bee. On any given evening at the Student Union, Erik would serenade the masses at the piano seducing plenty of college gals (and guys) as his sweet tunes drifted through the building. He became such a fixture that the Daily Texan featured an article on him back in 1998.

In 2000, he released an album of original piano compositions. The music is very film score like and easy to listen to, full of suprises and technical agility. I was hoping for more from him in the future, but for now, I'll have to wonder if he's been sucked into the drudgery of the work world and just hasn't had time to devote to his music. :(

I hope not, so if you read this, Erik, holler and tell us how you are doing.

Listen to:
"Sound and the Fury"
"Intergallactic Butterflies"


(photo by Charles Luu from Daily Texan)

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wasn't he a TAMS student or something?

Wednesday, September 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!... I just want to greet you, you were my teacher in Aguascalientes and one day you saved me to be discovered thundering 'cuetes' in Morelia. jej =)

Monday, September 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am looking for him, too. He was my friend. I have that same clipping from the daily texan. I will check back if I find him. Good Luck,
Greg

Wednesday, October 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate that, Greg. I'm really curious what happened to him. Others have e-mailed me due to this post inquiring about his whereabouts as well. I'm wondering if he left the country to teach or something.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Erik was my teacher in highschool on Aguascalientes, I hope you can find him. He left the school, in order to study a master in something about mathematicas. If you know something about him please give to him my mail davdhs@hotmail.com thanks!

Wednesday, January 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took that picture! I can't believe all of you guys kept a clipping of it. I have one too for my scrapbook.

Sunday, March 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last I heard he was doing a law degree in new york at Hofstra university.

Sunday, April 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had heard that too - from him. I wrote him a while back (at least two years ago) asking if he had ever thought of publishing / selling his sheet music, as I would buy and learn it all in a heart beat! I only knew of him from his brother (Lane). I too would love to know what he's doing - and would love to know how I could get his CDs. His music is pure genius and I'm trully envious of his gift. Though, just listening to just the few MP3s I do have of him makes me feel great to be alive.

Sunday, May 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was one of his students back in high school in Aguascalientes, Mexico, he is a really awesome both as teacher and person also a gifted musician, once he played the violin to us in the cafeteria and I must say it was beautiful, his classes were the funniest and most interesting ones I have ever had, I really miss the old days. I wrote him a some time ago just to know what was he up to, but never got an answer, I hope he didn't get lost in work and quit his music, I would love to hear from him, so Erik if you ever read this, please tell us what are you up to and plz post some new songs ^^, hope you are doing well, man, anyway thanks for everything. Ricardo Gonzalez (kurtykoala@gmail.com)

Tuesday, May 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any news on this guy? I heard an mp3 of his playing in a coffee shop in Austin, and I'd love to track down his music somewhere. I figure that maybe you've heard something in the eighteen months since this post was written...

Saturday, March 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi... I am one more of his students back in Mexico...
He is one of those teachers that you will always remember and carry in your heart... As Kurt told, his classes where always interesting... He was funny, charming, smart... Such an interesting teacher... it was not one single day you would not pay attention...

If you do find info about him please contact me gina.glinz@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was such a nice guy. He used to do handstands all the time before Navs.
I hope he is doing well, too. His music was wonderful. I'm so happy I have his Sunrise Cover CD he gave me years ago.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008  
Blogger cchang said...

Great to hear from you Charles!
I've never heard back from Erik unfortunately. I suppose he's been busy? I hope he finds this post one day and pops in a line to tell us how he is doing. He is so gifted in so many way.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.erikscottjohnston.com/ found again.

Sunday, April 17, 2011  
Blogger Sarah said...

he bought a piano at cafe medici on s. congress in austin and apparently plays there from time to time. i know nothing of him; new to town, saw the piano and inquired.

Thursday, August 11, 2011  
Blogger Sarah said...

http://blog.caffemedici.com/2011/06/thursday-night-piano-at-austonian.html

Thursday, August 11, 2011  
Blogger CindyAdzuki said...

Hey Guys! Cindy here...and great to see all the follow up posts. Thanks for the Link, Sarah.

I actually ran into Erik today while waiting for the bus downtown. He was gracious enough to come by and say hi. He's seen the post, and your comments and is doing really well--wife and kids. Looking good too. Still playing at Cafe DiMedici on Thursday nights...we should all go see him!

Sunday, June 24, 2012  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmrv0dH-WEs Clip on Youtube of him playing and talking about music.

Monday, September 24, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home